MYCOPLASMA?

happy_feets12

Chirping
Oct 27, 2020
Hello
i have quite a few chickens and the problems started when chicken got one part of the face swollen and some sneezed and coughed weirdly. I called the vet and told him what it was about and he gave me Oxytetracyclini chloridum and some anthelmintics. when I gave them these medications things got better and I was not allowed to eat eggs for 3 days after stopping the medication. a couple of weeks have passed and maybe one chicken appears which coughs strangely again and in their choana it becomes like mucus and when I press their nose a kind of yellow thing comes out, which stinks a lot. I suspected that this was due to the dust they had on the floor in the chicken coop and that this was due to the raising of dust particles. So I sprinkled lime powder on the floor but it still didn’t help. You can advise me what to do to prevent this 'disease'. there is a possibility that rats and small mice can also tolerate this, or because of dirty water, although I change their water every morning. Thanks for the tips:)

It sounds more like Infectious Coryza than MG due to the stink, although it's possible that birds can have both diseases at the same time.
Treatment is a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP in combination with Baytril or Tylan. Your sick birds will remain carriers for life and spread the disease(s) to other birds.

You must maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out to be sold or given away. MG can be passed through eggs. No selling or giving away eggs to be hatched.

Antibiotics mask symptoms, they do not cure the diseases. Birds that survive are carriers.
Your other option is to cull your sick flock. Then disinfect everything including waterers and feeders, coop, nest boxes and roosts.
Then wait several months before repopulating.
This will also give you time to eliminate the rodent problem which is a separate issue.

It sounds more like Infectious Coryza than MG due to the stink, although it's possible that birds can have both diseases at the same time.
Treatment is a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP in combination with Baytril or Tylan. Your sick birds will remain carriers for life and spread the disease(s) to other birds.

You must maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out to be sold or given away. MG can be passed through eggs. No selling or giving away eggs to be hatched.

Antibiotics mask symptoms, they do not cure the diseases. Birds that survive are carriers.
Your other option is to cull your sick flock. Then disinfect everything including waterers and feeders, coop, nest boxes and roosts.
Then wait several months before repopulating.
This will also give you time to eliminate the rodent problem which is a separate issue.
So the best way is to cull my flock, then will not be any problem. I have little chickens too and they are separated, but they are not in contact with this sick flock. So they do not need to be culled. But is there any other way to solve this that I don’t need to kill the chickens(this sick flock)?

So the best way is to cull my flock, then will not be any problem. I have little chickens too and they are separated, but they are not in contact with this sick flock. So they do not need to be culled. But is there any other way to solve this that I don’t need to kill the chickens(this sick flock)
Keep in mind that poultry respiratory diseases can be transmitted on your person, clothing, hands, shoes etc....
If you maintain strict biosecurity going between flocks, ie: practicing personal hygiene, changing shoes, clothing etc...yes, it's possible your "clean" flock can be maintained.
It'll be tough, but it's possible.

Keeping sick chickens increases the odds greatly that your clean flock will eventually become infected.
They are your birds, and your choice as to what you want to do.

Keep in mind that poultry respiratory diseases can be transmitted on your person, clothing, hands, shoes etc....
If you maintain strict biosecurity going between flocks, ie: practicing personal hygiene, changing shoes, clothing etc...yes, it's possible your "clean" flock can be maintained.
It'll be tough, but it's possible.

Keeping sick chickens increases the odds greatly that your clean flock will eventually become infected.
They are your birds, and your choice as to what you want to do.
But if some chicken survived this disease, do they become immune to this disease or all of them become carriers?

Back
Top Bottom