Weird Chicken Habits/Behaviors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bleenie, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

One of my Olive Egger hens has always been a bit of a weirdo when it came to laying. She used to lay in the brooder when the chicks were on the porch and after i moved them she took up the habit of laying her eggs on old grocery bags, lol. The first time there was one on the floor of the indoor porch and i guess she liked it so now she will FIND one and make herself a nesty spot with it to lay her eggs in... inside the indoor porch. [​IMG]

This morning I noticed her standing on the porch a lot and figured i had better look for her egg... i had been short 1 green egg for a couple days but figured one of the ducks stole them to sit on. Well i didn't see any in the open so i lifted this towel up that lays over a table on the porch.... lo & behold, a nice clutch of 9 green/olivey eggs! [​IMG] the little stinker, I hadn't realized i'd been down an egg for that long!

Anyone else have chickens that do goofy things like this? [​IMG]

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I had a hen raise a clutch of chicks on a pile of discarded twine next to a 55 gallon barrel. The peeping gave her hidden location away.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I found an egg today in one of our nice, soft patio chair cushions! Heck, I'd lay there too! One smart chicky!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by