Weird chicken

Chevy1981

In the Brooder
May 21, 2020
whats wrong with this chicken. Been this way since we got it (3 days ago)!!!!!

Attachments

• 20200810_192124.jpg
    20200810_192124.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 11
That is wry neck, in this position often called star gazing. Treatment usually consists of vitamin supplementing with Vitamin E and selenium. A 400iu E daily with a bit of sunflower seeds, canned tuna, or cooked egg for selenium. And see if you get improvement. Sometimes it can be diseased based (like Marek's disease) or from an injury also, but most commonly it's vitamins.
I hope you quarantined the new bird(s) away from any others you already had.
This link has more info on wry neck and treating, and a video at the end on helping them to eat and drink, she will likely need help doing that until it gets better, or she will slowly starve.
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html

That is wry neck, in this position often called star gazing. Treatment usually consists of vitamin supplementing with Vitamin E and selenium. A 400iu E daily with a bit of sunflower seeds, canned tuna, or cooked egg for selenium. And see if you get improvement. Sometimes it can be diseased based (like Marek's disease) or from an injury also, but most commonly it's vitamins.
I hope you quarantined the new bird(s) away from any others you already had.
This link has more info on wry neck and treating, and a video at the end on helping them to eat and drink, she will likely need help doing that until it gets better, or she will slowly starve.
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html
:goodpost:

I agree with others that have posted, it looks like wry neck. It is commonly caused by vitamin deficiencies, though diseases and injuries are also common causes. Have any of your other birds been showing any symptoms whatsoever? Where did you get them? Do you know if they were vaccinated or not, and if so, what were they vaccinated for?

I don't know nothing bout the bird besides she wasn't doing this when we got her and if u walk up to cage and tap on the wire she acts normal. She was laying when we got her and she has laid since. Doesn't seem to bother her all the time only when nobody is giving her attention. If I pick her up or tap on cage she stops and acts normal

Back
Top Bottom