Weird Coating on Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BroncoHollow, Dec 16, 2008.

1. BroncoHollow

BroncoHollow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    Forgive me if I missed this topic... I really have searched for something related to this...

We have 20 RIR and 2 Buff Orpingtons that have been going nuts laying eggs since we put up the new nest boxes. I collected a very strange looking one yesterday... It has a hard almost fuzzy looking white substance over most of the egg. Some areas are film like and others it actually is clumpy. Is this because it is a first time layer? I've seen speckled eggs, small and various brown colors but that seems to adjust it self out as they lay more..but nothing like this! [​IMG]

This one is so very different...I just want to make sure I don't have a sick hen, any suggestions?

2. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi neighbor....we live in Don Pedro. [​IMG]

Do you have a picture of it? Sounds quite odd.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would tend to think that she is just her plumbing working.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Quote:I'd have to agree w/ ya. I have many first time layers who have "clumpy" stuff on the ends of their eggs.

5. BroncoHollow

Jun 8, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    Thank you for your replies. I was hoping that it was just this particular hens first egg or two!

Hi Lea71 - did you get a lot of snow from this storm?
    Attaching two pictures...my camera didn't like the drop it took, so no flash and it doesn't focus too good...lol Christmas is coming lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Ok, mine don't look like that. [​IMG] That is odd, I can see why you're concerned now. Mine have clumpy stuff at the end sometimes but it's the same [brown] color as the egg shell. Not sure what the white film stuff is on your egg though. Maybe excess calcium?? Are u giving them oyster shell? If so, maybe cut that out for a bit and see if that prob goes away. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Looks to me like it's from a new layer who just doesn't have all the kinks worked out of her egg factory yet.
    Nothing to worry about.

8. BroncoHollow

Jun 8, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    Thank you so very much!! I was hoping that was the reason.
    Everyone here is very helpful and I spend hours learning new things [​IMG]

9. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just plain weird......
    I hope Santa is good for you and you get a 5megapixel 3x zoom all nice and pretty under your tree!![​IMG]

10. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have gotten one like that & never again! Must be a new layer problem....all fixed now though! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by