Weird comb growth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mandelyn, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    So I just spent awhile looking around at deformities for chickens, and am still baffled by what would cause this thing with the comb.

I have an older hen, and the back of her comb is sucked in on itself. The front 3/4 of it is normal. The back, it looks as though it was pulled in from the inside. If that makes sense. Didn't think much of it, chalked it up to a weird defect.

Now Spike, one of the babies, is developing in the exact same way. Him and the others were deficient in vitamin E, so I'm wondering if the weird comb growing is a deficiency symptom too, or an unrelated thing.

Since it looks identical to the hen, but different breed, age, and bloodlines... then it must be a "thing" and it must have a name.

Any ideas?

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
  3. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    That's exactly it! Both the birds I have like that are single comb.

Why is this my year for weird stuff? Inverted spikes and vitamin deficiencies. Gosh I hope that's it. And poor Spike, now he's no good for breeding when he hatched as the only male with 5 lovely ladies. Sad!

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Don't give up!!

5. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Haha, not giving up. Inverted comb on a rare breed, hard to come by rooster isn't such a bad thing. I know a guy that has some more, but he'd eat Spike if I traded out boys for a better quality one. So moving forward, I have to decide if I want a rooster for breeding, or keep Spike as a pet (depending on how much he crows, so far his practice crows have been every couple of days, and not constant like some). Or find Spike a nice country home. Though I would have to part with 2 pullets to help him find that home.

He's my buddy though. So it's more of a disappointment than if he was just another rooster I didn't need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by