1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird "crow" from hen. Is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessicamills, May 12, 2016.

1. jessicamills

jessicamills Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    Our wellsummer has been increasingly chirping and "crowing" with a horse voice. She also appears to be panting a little. This started months ago. I suspected something respiratory but I assumed she would t have lasted this long if that was the case. Any ideas? Cures?

Here's a video of the "crow":

2. jessicamills

Sep 24, 2013
    Another riveting video ;)

3. jessicamills

Sep 24, 2013
    Another clue: she's doing this weird chirp/crow ALL DAY LONG. She used to mostly only make noises while laying, like a "normal" hen. But now all day long she's making a racket!

4. jessicamills

Sep 24, 2013
    She's about 2 years old, FYI, and otherwise seems to be in good health.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It does look somewhat respiratory.
    Any discharge from the nose/eyes?
    Have you looked in her mouth?
    Any changes to the environment she is in, new bedding, new feed, medications, dusts for parasites, etc.?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. jessicamills

Sep 24, 2013
    No discharge, but I haven't taken a good look in her mouth. She's skittish but I'll try to do that today. What am I looking for?

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If she is really flighty, you may need to try to wait until she roosts at night to examine her (easier to catch) and possibly less stressful.
    Since it's been progressing over a long period of time, look in her throat for any worms, redness, swelling, sores, etc.
    Wondering if it could possibly be gape worms? Can you take a fecal sample to the vet to have them check for worms?

8. jessicamills

Sep 24, 2013
    Is checking for worms in a fecal sample something a non-chicken-vet could do? Our small-animal vet is a couple blocks away. The vet that knows something about chickens is all the way across town.

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes, I believe just about any vet can do a fecal float test to determine if there are worms or not. You may want to call them to save yourself a trip though[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by