weird deflated eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fatguyaz, Oct 30, 2008.

1. fatguyaz

fatguyaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    the last three days, i've been getting these strange deflated looking eggs. The shells are soft and leathery and they are broken and smooshed. It's coming from a barred rock or a RIR, if that matters... They aren't in the boxes with the intact eggs, either. It's only in the early morning that it happens. It's as if the hen gets up in the morning and just dumps the egg out before she gets over to her box. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

How old are these hens? And what is there diet?

4. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    I had the same problem and tracked to two of my older hens. They would drop the egg as they either went to roost or came off the roost. They were at least 5 when this was going on. I got rid of them as I could see an egg eating potential problem with the flock as they would drop down and gobble the egg up.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. fatguyaz

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    these are pullets not even a year old yet. It's always from the roost shelf they sleep on, like VaM715 said. They freerange several hours a day and get a mixture of layer crumbles, flax seeds and DE in a big gravity feeder when they are in the coop. The others have the same exact diet and i'm getting normal eggs from them. It's one a day, so i'm assuming it's the same hen each morning.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd offer them oystershell or dried crumbled eggshells, free choice, always available in a separate little bin. That may solve your problem right there.

they can drop an egg 'prematurely' if frightened or stressed... is it possible that one of them is getting harassed by another(s) and chased off the roost and plopping out an egg then? Unlikely, but not impossible and if that were it then obviously the solution woudl be a bit different.

Good luck,

Pat

7. fatguyaz

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    they have a bowl of oystershell and i feed all their egg shells back to them, as well. I'm picking up smooshy eggs as soona s i see them because i'm worried they might start getting a taste for the raw eggs.

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sounds like softshell/shell-less

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i was getting those off and on from my EE when she started laying, adding oyster shell helped. I still see one on occasion but rarely. And its the same as you mentioned, on the floor below the roost like she couldnt hold it in.

10. fatguyaz

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    upon further investigation, i found my EE with a really wet sticky belly... as if she'd be setting on this broken deflated egg. Still up on the perching shelf, not in the laying box. Also, i looked closer at the shell and it's definitely not brown. I have 4 layers and i'm still getting 3 brown eggs in a day on occasion, but no green ones anymore. (for about the last week.) So it must be the EE. She stopped laying a couple days before these weird eggs started coming. Why would it be just one hen? Maybe she doesn't like oystershell as much as the rest? She does the same thing, diet wise, that the other girls do... strange.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by