weird duckling color question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kristina, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    ok I just hatched a solid yellow duckling! Seems normal right...I would say so if I had pekins but I don't. Here is what I have of breeding age and thats laying...

One blue swedish drake
    one rouen drake
    one rouen/pekin cross drake
    one rouen hen
    one khaki campbell hen

(I've had all of them since babies and none of them were yellow babies)

So I know that I can end up with duckling with white on them but I've hatched at least 10 off these eggs and have NEVER had a solid yellow duckling. They all look like the rouen pattern. Is it that the one quarter pekin that this duckling MIGHT be could have made him come out yellow? He's cute I'm just but I'm interested in knowing where ALL that yellow came from. Thanks!

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    With mixes you never know what you're going to get. Genetics can be tricky. Most of the time you will get predictable results but sometimes you get something a little different. Although a yellow duckling is a little unusual its completely normal. I'm guessing the father is the pekin cross.

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    the milkman? [​IMG]

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I had a Pekin hatch 9 eggs from a Blue Swedish drake and a Fawn and White Runner drake (of course, the pekin was the mom,lol). None came out Yellow, and a few had stripes on their faces like little mallard or rouen babies. 1 came out completely buff, 2 were blue and white, and the rest were mallard colored. You truly never know what you will get! I would guess the dad is the pekin cross as well though.

5. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    well I am almost positive that the pekin cross is the dad but ALL the babies I have hatched from him have some out with the mallard markings like the suspected mom. He is a little cutie I was just shocked to get a solid yellow duckling from the group. Oh well I guess he'll be a special duck around here [​IMG]

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Let us know how it feathers out! It might be yellow, and come out completely colorful! I know that Barred Muscovy ducklings are yellow, with a little bit of color on their tail. You can tell they are barred because they have a blue bill. So you never know! Maybe he will suprise you.

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Throwbacks happen!

8. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    It would be related to the pekin somewhere. I have the Storey Guide to ducks and they have a great genetic section and I know I read somewhere there you can breed sex-link duck. One combo uses Pekins, and beings he's white I'm sure thats were the white is from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by