1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Weird duckling that trips on its feet and breaths rapidly!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gabeandmuscovys, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Gabeandmuscovys

Gabeandmuscovys Hatching

Jul 29, 2014
    Hello My name is Gabriel Johnson and I live in france.This is my first post;

I bought a muscovy duckling about 2 weeks ago and i just noticed he breathes rapidly and trips on its feet, it is also quite small for its age i don't know but its legs are half as long than average i don't know if it will die or if it is in pain otherwise it runs eats and drinks normally. Do i buy another one To replace it if it dies? Propositions to help it ?

Thanks and have a good day!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What are you feeding the duckling?

A balanced feed is important, with enough protein and B vitamins.

3. Gabeandmuscovys

Gabeandmuscovys Hatching

Jul 29, 2014
    I am feeding her Country's best and fresh grass i thaught that making her swim would be a good idea to muscle up her legs but she gets cold and she is not water resistant yet. She gets blue and starts to shiver but, when i find her the following day she's just fine!

I forgot to mention that she has a little sister twice a big a her a a farmer said that maybe it was the big one that crushed her legs?!!

Anyways, i don't think i can do a lot about it..... If you have any suggestions for food supplements or something....

Thanks!!!! [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Littles need lukewarm to warm water for swimming - they could get hypothermia otherwise.

Make sure she is getting a tiny bit, like a quarter teaspoon, of grit in her food a few times a week if you give her anything other than crumble or pellets to eat.

A weekly dose of poultry vitamins with probiotics and electrolytes would be good,

A teaspoon of brewer's yeast in her food daily, also, would be good.

5. Gabeandmuscovys

Gabeandmuscovys Hatching

Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks a lot

Have a good day !!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: