Weird ducklings

Cayuga ducks

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2018
I have hatched 6 duckling that all internal piped and have been there for more than 48 hr so we decided to help and we got all out alive but they can’t stand, lift their neck and eyes are still closed except one. I have been giving them water with sugar and vitamin E because I heard it might be wry beck not sure. Also some have been eating a little crumble. I’m finding as they get stronger they hold their head for about 4 seconds then it falls. They are pure bred Cayuga but this year I got another drake so it might be genetic from him not sure. Open to any advice

Attachments

• 12333354-BAEE-40ED-8756-A566C7E5F5F9.jpeg
    12333354-BAEE-40ED-8756-A566C7E5F5F9.jpeg
    716.3 KB · Views: 21
I only hatched my first batch of ducks this year so I am definatly no expert, but this happened to me as well. My humidity was wonky throughout incubation and I think it just made it to hard for them. After being helped out, they were all loke you are describing for about 48 hrs. They were really weak for the first week, but then they suddenly just got up and acted like normal ducklings. I made sure they had access to water and gave them mostiened food. Good luck!

I also broke out the blow dryer and rubbed them, but I don't know if that really helped or not. It was something I was taught to do with weak kittens and puppies so I gave it a shot.

Last edited:
I also broke out the blow dryer and rubbed them, but I don't know if that really helped or not. It was something I was taught to do with weak kittens and puppies so I gave it a shot.
Ok one is holding its head up and can wonder around the other still act like their are in a shell. Yes so what is happening is my Cayuga is broody and soon as they start to hatch she destroys the shell and kills the duckling so I take them away soon as they start to hatch and keep warm with water and I had to help all of them but they are only a day old. They are all suppose to have eyes open but one has them only half open that’s it. Thanks for your reply

Ok one is holding its head up and can wonder around the other still act like their are in a shell.

Mine were like this also. I wasn't sure they were gonna pull through until they went from looking like they were on death's door to running around like normal ducklings. I really hope your pull through!

Back
Top Bottom