Weird egg color - Show me your pics too

cejunes

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
Post Falls, ID
Currently I only have 4 hens that are laying, 3 are aracauna's and another one that I'm not sure of the breed (I rescued her from another flock that was picking on her). This rescued bird has been laying the typical light brown egg but this morning her egg was half blue (aracauna lt blue in color) and half brown. Has anyone ever heard of this or can anyone tell me why this might happen. I'm just curious?

Last edited:
Okay, Here is the pic of the egg. It's not dirty as I cleaned it off to make sure I was seeing the colors correctly. I've never seen her lay one like this before. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've seen any chicken lay a two toned egg like this one before. (Edited from original pic. I have shown it here next to the normal eggs that I regularly get - It's the one in the middle)

63107_008.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I've seen that, and does the lighter area on the egg look kind of like a filmy residue? Mine have that once in a while, and I think it might be a sort of discharge from the hen.......

My girls surprise me all the time with the fancy & unusual "dye jobs" that they design!!!
big_smile.png

I think I know what the issue is now. I don't think it was any of my regular layers, I think it was a first egg for one of my pullets. I went out today and found another egg that didn't belong only this one was a soft shell. I think I have a young one that is trying to figure things out - possibly too much calcium yesterday and not enough today. I'm going to the feed store today to get some crushed oyster shells to add to their diet. Anyone else think this scenario makes sense or have any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom