Weird Egg .... experience?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenpredatorkiller, Oct 5, 2011.

1. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    Ok well I have two hens, and one was laying and one was not.... or so I thought. Yesterday I went out to get the egg like I do every day and I found something strange. A HUGE, Speckled egg! It is brown with white speckled dots. It was a little bigger than a normal storebought egg, and almost twice the size that she normally lays. I thought that maybe it was just a weird egg, and she would go back to laying "Normal" ones. Today I went out there again to find an almost identical one. This one has more uniform white speckles than the other, but It looks almost the same. Again, I thought It was from the laying hen. (Goldie) But then, I went out to the coop one more time, just to look around, and I found one of her "Normal" eggs in a corner, where I have never found an egg before, and it was slightly cracked. Now I think that the two huge, strange eggs might be from the other hen. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    This is The "strange" egg compared to a store bought one.

[​IMG]
    This is the one I found today.

[​IMG]
    This is A storebought egg (like you didn't already know)

[​IMG]
    This is the "strange" egg. See the weird coloring? Sorry if you can't, the lighting was kinda bad.

[​IMG]
    Here it is again.

[​IMG]
    And here is goldie's "Normal" egg.

Another weird thing I discovered is when you get the eggs wet, the speckles disappear until it dries. Any ideas?

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    calcium
    sometimes they take a little time to become, regular, they are young right? feeding layer mash may help, but some hens take practice to get it right, and/or the other hen may be laying now too, if so the underlying color may be different...that normal egg looks assymetric to me...

3. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I get that all the time, it's really not abnormal.

4. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    Hah I just kinda solved my own mystery. Out of curiosity to see if the other hen laid those 2 eggs, I went out and went to pet her, and she squatted! I was doubting that she laid the egg because she is like half the size and maturity of the other hen. Her comb is WAYYYY smaller.

5. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    I see all kinds of funny things from my hens.

Bumps, speckles, odd shapes, larger, smaller. They are natural critters and their eggs will change based on season, diet and mood.

Just gotta love'm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by