1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

weird egg formations?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brungeman, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Brungeman

Brungeman In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    Hello folks, first post...What causes eggs to strange formations? I have an egg from one of my black copper morans that has a strange indentation and shape to it. Is there any reason for concern? Is she stressed or something that caused this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance for your answers!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager 5 Years

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
  3. Brungeman

Brungeman In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    Thank you sunflour!

This may be a slab sided egg... she laid 2 eggs that day. So by the description, it was from the 2 of them bumping into one another in the pouch.?.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be....could be stress during egg formation, could be just a glitch.
    Weird eggs happen, as long as it's not ongoing every egg I wouldn't be concerned or jump to conclusions.

How old is your Marans?
    Weird eggs are more common in new layers or birds coming back into lay after a molt.

5. Brungeman

Brungeman In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    The stress thing could be it too. Last week Saturday (on my birthday) a hawk killed my favorite hen a beautiful Wellsummer who laid beautiful speckled eggs. The whole flock was as traumatized as we we. Because of that, I haven't been free ranging them as much.

They are young as well, if my calculations are correct they are 7-8 months old.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager 5 Years

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for info. Knew about new layers, but didn't realize molt could cause this. I have seen some minor changes in shape, and pigmentation from some of mine in molt.

[​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: