Weird egg from my guinea hen

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Must Be Losing It, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    That last two night I've collect a funky darkly speckled egg from one of my guinea hens. Tonight another one w/ dark odd speckles but it was also very oddly shaped with even what looked like a crease mark on it - almost like a fingernail impression. Is this something to be concerned about?

Julie

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My first question was going to be "are you sure they are guinea eggs" and when I looked up the guinea eggs online, they look to be tannish/brown colored and rather pointy on one end. I haven't seen any that are speckled. Your hen may be setting on them, but she might not be the one that layed them! [​IMG] What other types of fowl that are similar size do you have around there? Quail eggs are speckled...do you have any of those around?

Shelly

3. lovethechickens

lovethechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Antioch California
    If it has a crease in it it could be a problem. color changes , freckles, and pimples are pretty common in eggs, but when you start getting wrinkles and creases and things, its not always a good thing. Separate her immediately, and check her nostrils and listen to her breathing. Alot of time a resperitory disease can cause egg problems. Hope this helps.

4. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Well, they are definately guinea eggs because I only have guineas in that pen, so no issue there. And the girls all seem quite healthy. And all 3 eggs today were normal. So frustrating.

5. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    We often have speckled eggs from our guineas. I don't see that as a problem, the creasing is odder. Are they getting enough calcium?

6. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I put crushed oyster shell in their scratch so I hope so and feed them egg shells as I have them, but maybe you are right. I did go a week where I was out of shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by