Weird Egg I Get Sometimes!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AustralorpsAU, Nov 13, 2016.

1. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi Everyone,

So sometimes i get this weird egg from one of my chickens that has calcium deposits and a funky looking top??? Anybody know why???

[​IMG]

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Is she a new layer? Sometimes it takes a while for their system to adjust and make a perfect egg. Then again, sometimes you get a hen with a wonky oviduct or a problem properly using calcium.

I had an EE that always had calcium deposits, so I cut back on the oyster shell and have not had any further issues. I also have a Wyandotte that lays an oblong egg with an obvious line in the center, like its 2 eggs melded together. It's just a hen with an odd reproductive system is what my thought is; eggs are just as delicious as everybody else's :)

3. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    No she is about a year old now! It is only sometimes and looks exactly the same

4. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Strange! I wonder about the "science" of that, too. Chipmunk (the EE with wonky eggs) has crossbeak; so I thought maybe with her it's a mutation in her genes or something, since she has crossbeak and lays weird eggs. She'll be 3 in spring but still lays a bumpy one every once in a while.

Could just be something like that. Not every hen can lay perfect eggs I guess ;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Those shell anomalies happen in the shell gland(uterus).
    The once in awhile ones can happen due to stress(any number of things, most of which we never see) during shelling process.
    The consistent ones, I have a few, could be due to disease, nutritional uptake issue and/or genetic malfunction.

6. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

That makes sense in Chipmunks' case. Since she has crossbeak, I know her genetics are a little "off", and it also makes it harder for her to eat. That's actually why I started fermenting; so Chip could eat her food easier. That's also when I noticed getting less of the lumpy eggs. She might not have been getting enough to eat.

I kinda liked the lumpy egg. I could always tell when she was laying lol ;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by