weird egg laying habbits

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zebserema, Jun 24, 2011.

1. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    I have a pure breed star chicken and she hasnt been in the nesting box in two monts and she is like 2 years old now so she is laying and its not that she isnt layin eggs she does but she lays wherever she is at the time and when she lays the egg it has no shell just a membrane for example this evening i was watching my chickens as they sat on their roosting stick and the hen made a weird noise and then layed the egg from 5 feet off the ground it had only a membrane so please help me with this ... [​IMG]

2. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    It sounds like she needs calcium. Do you feed free choice oyster shell? If not, I would suggest it. In addition to that, I also feed the majority of their egg shells back to them. I have a pretty bowl on my kitchen counter with smaller bowl inside with a napkin inside. When I break eggs I just rinse the shell and throw it in the small bowl. When dry, I empty into the other bowl. This way you always have dry shells and drying shells. When the bowl is full of dry shells, I just crush them and mix with the oyster shell. I crush them pretty small so they don't get into the habit of picking their eggs. Even so, every now and again one of them will lay a soft egg. The majority of the time their shells are nice and hard. I've even dropped one on the grass without breaking it! [​IMG] Good luck!

3. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    i do feed her oyster shell and egg shells but she has been doing this habit for 2 or 3 months now and i just dont know why if somthing doesnt happen she might go in the frying pan lol jk [​IMG]

4. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    and that, my friend, is the other option..... I hate to say it, but it seems to me like some hens just sort of peter out......[​IMG]

edited to add: Your avatar is THE fattest squirrel I think I've ever seen!!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:yeah it is a big squirrel i was kidding about eating her but i guess i might should consider it but i dont know i like her way too much i raised her from a chick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by