Weird egg need some answers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BoliverKegnails, Oct 14, 2013.

1. BoliverKegnails

BoliverKegnails New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    I do not have a pic of the egg but if needed will take a pic next time it is laid. I have a chicken that lays green shelled eggs but occasionally it has brown speckles all over it and has a rough texture. It appears to be part of the shell but once washed really well it all comes off. Thanks for the help!

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    It could be calcium deposits, nothing to worry about. Sometimes hens just lay odd eggs.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I get some with speckles such as that from time to time. There will be unusual variations from time to time.

Chris

4. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Today one of my girls laid an egg with no shell. Well, there was a weird gloppy thing that was probably supposed to be the shell. First tie I've seen that happen. Should I worry?

5. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    No, but you might want to make sure they have enough calcium in their diet. Usually it's just a fluke though. If it happens often, give them a calcium supplement. An easy way to do this is to keep the egg shells, dry them (either leave them out on the counter or dry them in the oven) then grind them up and feed them back to the girls. [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  7. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks! I just switched from layer feed to an all flock feed since I'm getting ready to introduce some younger girls. I did put out oyster shell, but maybe the girls haven't yet figured out what it's for. I have it in a separate feeder. They should just know when to eat it, right?

8. BoliverKegnails

BoliverKegnails New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    I mix oyster shell in the feed but the dont seem to eat a lot of it, i try and crush it up a little more and they eat more of it then and i will every once in awhile dry out their shells and they love that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by