weird "egg" pic (kinda gross)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Plinky, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Plinky

Plinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    I checked for eggs today and found this! It was not laid by my problematic Brahma- she was in a separate pen for the day. There were two brown egg layers present and one leghorn. There were two brown eggs in the nest and this. So I would assume it came from the Leghorn. They are still pullets so I guess all can be expected. So far (since 4.5 months) they have laid very beautiful eggs very regularly. One anomaly was a brown round egg and I found a perfect yolk on the ground. The Leghorn has laid two double yolk eggs.
    I'm not worried as I think it's just an egg that didn't go through the normal development process for some reason. Curious isn't it?

[​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

That is strange, but like you said, you'll see all kinds of oddities when pullets first start laying. In my flock, I've seen soft-shelled eggs, shell-less eggs, misshapen eggs, fart eggs, double and triple-yolkers, eggs with "stems"...but nothing like that so far! BTW, I have (Brown) Leghorns, too, and those girls can really lay a huge egg. They're petite girls - makes me feel a bit bad for them. [​IMG]

3. Plinky

Mar 9, 2016
    Agree about the size. Amazing that the lightest chickens lay the biggest eggs! Th double yolkers weighed in at about 85 grams!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Was the blob and the curly thing in the upper right solid?
    Good to cut into these things, then take more pics, to see the consistency.
    Could be a glitch, could be infection-search on 'lash eggs'.

5. Plinky

Mar 9, 2016
    OH no. I just searched.
    That's probably what it is. It seems like the description of the viral type and less the bacterial.
    Thank you for the heads up.
    Will she lay normal eggs as well (haven't checked yet today)? If so are they safe to eat?
    Going to research natural treatments since antibiotics doon't work on viruses and seem to be of dubious success and safety anyway.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Normal eggs should be fine...only time well tell if it's actually an infection or a fluke.
    If it continues might want to isolate bird over night or for a couple days, take a look at her droppings.
    I use a wire dog crate with smaller wire added to bottom and tray under crate to gather droppings without them being stopped in.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  7. Plinky

Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks. good ideas.

8. Plinky

Mar 9, 2016
    GOOD NEWS, CROSSING FINGERS.
    Today our Leghorn laid her first egg since the weird stuff I posted about. If anyone is interested, I researched lash eggs as much as possible. From descriptions found this seems to be the type resulting from a virus type infection. So I just decided to apply immune boosting ideas that I've already been doing with one chicken to the entire (all 4 of them!) flock. fresh garlic and turmeric grated with yogurt. I've been putting in fresh oregano, thyme and sage, once some squash and squash seeds, chopped up dandelion leaves. I also got some homeopathic remedies but just started using them today so they didn't affect this egg. But yay. She seem's ok and laid an egg, albeit smaller than her usual. I'm cautiously hopeful and am continuing this idea.

9. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hoping for the best for your girls!

10. Plinky

Mar 9, 2016
    THANKS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by