1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Weird egg pics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Zaxby's2, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Ever since a snake got into are nest boxes a week ago and we killed it, we haven't gotten any eggs. Today I was suprised to find this in the nest box:
    [​IMG]
    I think she just layed the membrane. Here's another egg from the fridge for comparison. I only have brown egg layers, so she didn't lay the actual shell, plus it feels different and broke when I touched it.
    [​IMG]
    Here's what was in it:
    [​IMG]
    And the outside of it:
    [​IMG]
    Now for our suspects.
    My 2 yr. old BO hen.
    [​IMG]
    My two 9 month old RIR hens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then there's the cornish cross hen who is about laying age yet is blind in one eye and can't get into the coop on her own so it being her is unlikely.
    [​IMG]
    And that's it! Who do you think did it? I know it's a freak egg and anyone could have done it but I enjoy you guys guessing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i think it's because of the snake that spooked them and they decided to cease egg production for a while causing her to lay a soft egg or yes a shellless egg. [​IMG] keep an eye on them make sure everyone is happy and healthy and you should see normal eggs again. i would guess a RIR just because it looks like one my RIR production bird layed a few weeks back. and buffs seem to lay a lighter brown colored egg a bit smaller than the RIRs. [​IMG] just my 2cents. could be wrong. [​IMG]

3. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Thanks! [​IMG] I've had one of my RIRs lay a couple tiny eggs(smaller than OEGB eggs) and after a while she stopped laying them.

4. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    yep thats what happens. they lay a few tiny eggs as an indicator of taking a break for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by