Weird Egg ridges?.. Possibly sick hen.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 8flocksMocked, Sep 8, 2016.

1. 8flocksMocked

8flocksMocked Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    San Jose California
    Today, my hen I believe it was either a Barred Rock or a Delaware started laying for the first time. I cant be sure which hen laid the egg, since I was at school but it could only of been those 2 since the others were already laying. The egg seemed to be different than the eggs which im used to seeing. Usually for me, eggs dont look like this. Im extremely bad at explaining things so I have a couple of pictures to post. The hen that laid this egg was healthy and was showing no signs of being sick or anything was wrong. It showed normal chicken behaviors and a positive attitude! The crack I believe was just an accident...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Somtimes chickens just lay an atypical egg. Plus, with first eggs the hens are still adjusting their systems. I think this is more anomaly than anything. But here is a great article that talks about egg abnormalities. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems If you keep getting issues like the ones in the pic you may have an issue on your hands. But I predict this was an isolated incident. Good luck to you.

3. 8flocksMocked

8flocksMocked Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    San Jose California
    Thanks! I was a bit worried :p And the article is super helpful, aswell!!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pics are always best anyway ;-)
    Could just be new layer glitches....only time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by