1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird egg shell and soft shell egg in the aame day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momma chickie, Dec 7, 2016.

1. momma chickie

momma chickie Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2016
    My Americauna layed 2 eggs today, 1 weird shaped and 1 soft shell. I took pics of weird one. Was it because there were 2 eggs at the same time in the shell making area?[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sometimes a 'checked' or 'slab sided' egg shell is caused by another egg in, or close, to the shell gland......sometimes it is not.

Is this bird a new layer....ever laid one like this before?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. momma chickie

May 6, 2016
    She just started laying in August and has had this happen before...but it was soon after she started laying.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What do you feed? Diet plays a huge role in egg production.......

Cheers!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Young pullets do lay some funky eggs until the egg making factory works out the kinks. Make sure she's on a good quality diet and her eggs should improve. In my experience, though, hens who continue to lay funky eggs will eventually develop what some people call egg-laying peritonitis which is not good.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yep....Diet related.....Can be prevented......

Cheers!

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Occasional slab sided eggs can also be caused by stress when the egg is in the shell gland.......
    .....a scare from predator attack, or anything else that extremely startles the bird.

Consistent slab sided eggs can be caused by infection or a shell gland malfunction/malformation caused by disease, genetics, long term malnutrition.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  9. momma chickie

May 6, 2016
    Not diet, they get organic lay crumbles, organic lay scratch and peck snd organic yogurt and oatmeal along with table scraps and free roaming the yard all day...since it only happened twice, not close together I will chock it up to imaturity.

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Organic is not necessarily a superb diet........it really depends on total protein and essential vitamins/minerals/amino acids they consume.
    Too many extraneous foods, other than a good balanced chicken feed,
    can dilute the basic nutrition of the main feed leaving you with poor overall nutrition and health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by