Weird egg, soft one side...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by funkychook, Mar 19, 2012.

1. funkychook

funkychook Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Hi my buff orpington has been laying successfully now for several months, and is a prolific layer. When she first started she did lay the odd egg with no shell or soft shell.

This morning i found an egg again which is weird shape, shell around one side and soft the other.....

I am worried about her now. She is free range, eats well and they have calcium constantly available.

I was wondering if the new arrivals 2 doors away could have upset her. The lady 2 doors down has just got 4 chickens yesterday and they were making hell of a racket, kids shouting, chickens making a lot of noise dog barking lol.

I am a bit worried about her as she is quite experienced now i didnt expect to see an odd egg from her now oh also it was very frosty this morning. You can see the egg inside which doesnt look as though it has a yolk to be honest. Most odd.

[​IMG]

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Once is OK it can happen any time really. Looks like she just didn't have enough calcium to finish the shell. If it were to continue, then start to worry the problem.

1 person likes this.
  3. funkychook

funkychook Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    update.

In the afternoon, she went back into the nest box...

I found another egg at 4pm from her. Could she have laid two eggs? The other 3 were outside mooching about she was the only one in the box in the afternoon. I wonder if she was supposed to lay a double yolker or something. Most odd....the first one was the colour of her eggs, as was the second one.

She hasnt laid today as yet. its 13.40 so i wouldnt expect one, but the other 3 have.

So it must be hers.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Two eggs in one day does take a fair bit of calcium. Usually its the second egg that's shorted, soft shelled. Something for me to ponder while I watch my chooks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by