Weird Egg Thing Found In Nest - What Is It???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zippy007, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Zippy007

Zippy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    My hens have been laying everyday for a while now since coming out of their moult, and today i went to collect the eggs and i found this next to one of the eggs :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It had a shell like normal and when it was cracked had white but no egg.

What the hell is it?!

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Whoa, weird. Usually eggs like that are teeny and round. People around here call them "fart eggs," but my grandmother called them "witch eggs." They're a reproductive oops. But that one's the biggest, oopsiest oops I've ever seen.

3. Zippy007

Zippy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    Ive had those before, we call them fairy eggs, like a small mini egg, i have no idea what happened here - had nothing unusal before or since, think and hope it was a one off!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No, fart eggs have a shell. Those are called lash eggs - they are like a petrified egg. If she keeps laying them, it can be a sign of internal laying. If she's just starting back up from a molt, I wouldn't worry too much.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I thought the OP said it had a shell like normal, and when she cracked it, it had a white but no yolk. [​IMG]

6. tammyfarms

tammyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Sanford, NC
    I am fascinated! Was the pointy, curved part hard shell too? How interesting. I am afraid I don't have anything helpful to add at this point, just questions.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Fart eggs look like regular eggs, just really small. This looks different. To the OP, was it solid on the inside or of egg white consistency? I suppose it could be an egg that malfunctioned in the process. Unless it's a repeated event, I wouldn't worry too much.

Here's a thread that shows lots of weird eggs, including fart eggs. But yours looks more like this one:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/633054/post-your-abnormal-egg-pictures/0_50#post_8711848

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by