1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Weird Egg Wrapped in Membrane (PICS)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speckledhen, Sep 3, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Found this on the ground in one of the pens today. The egg was hard-shelled, but wrapped in a membrane of some sort. Anyone think this may be a serious issue or just a fluke? The shell on the egg was hard, though the yolk broke too easily when I cracked it into a bowl. I've had a few odd eggs over the years, but nothing like this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Did one of your girls lost a part of their reproductive parts????

Yep, its soooooo weird!

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    I dunno of course, but am NOT looking forward to finding my "first" weird eggs.

I hope she is ok and well.

4. speckledhen

I wish I knew which one it was who laid that thing.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hopefully not one of your "sick" girls...........

6. speckledhen

My girls who are suffering from internal laying aren't laying at all and haven't in months. This isn't in their pen anyway.

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Wow, I too have had some weird ones, but nothing like that. Hope someone knows.

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Just checked in to see if there were any new answers or developments, I see not.

Well.. here's to hoping...

I had a crazy thought about it though... well.. I've read somewhere, don't know if its true or not, but that sometimes worms are laid inside the egg.... is it possible that this egg was laid inside a worm?

sorry... I warned you it was a crazy thought

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I thought someone else posted a weird looking egg like that and they were told it had something to do with internal laying and there was a link to a web page showing similar eggs....but I'll be darned if I can find that post now. Try searching for anything 'egg' here! [​IMG]

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Cyn, that doesn't look like membrane to me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by