DuckDuckJuice

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
Ohio
Hi, all. We have a strange egg situation that I thought I’d get ideas on. I went to collect the eggs yesterday and noticed the largest (presumably from our Pekin) had a pale green shell. I didn’t think much of it at the time, as our Khaki Campbell lays the occasional tinted egg. My daughter wanted scrambled eggs for breakfast and thought the green egg was cool (she’s big into Dr. Seuss), so I cracked it open. It had two tiny blood specks on the yolk, but again I didn’t think much of it because we’ve had that happen several times before and the eggs were just fine. When I realized something was wrong was when I cooked it. It had a strong, almost onion-like smell that was very off-putting. I’ve never smelled an egg like that. I threw it away rather than risk anything and just made breakfast with one of the other eggs instead. All of the ducks are happy and healthy, no issues that are obvious. All of the eggs laid this morning were normal.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I know that eating onions can cause a flavor change in the ducks’ eggs, but they’ve never been given onions and this smell was very pungent. That, along with the blood specks and green shell make me think it’s something else going on. Ideas?

Hi, all. We have a strange egg situation that I thought I’d get ideas on. I went to collect the eggs yesterday and noticed the largest (presumably from our Pekin) had a pale green shell. I didn’t think much of it at the time, as our Khaki Campbell lays the occasional tinted egg. My daughter wanted scrambled eggs for breakfast and thought the green egg was cool (she’s big into Dr. Seuss), so I cracked it open. It had two tiny blood specks on the yolk, but again I didn’t think much of it because we’ve had that happen several times before and the eggs were just fine. When I realized something was wrong was when I cooked it. It had a strong, almost onion-like smell that was very off-putting. I’ve never smelled an egg like that. I threw it away rather than risk anything and just made breakfast with one of the other eggs instead. All of the ducks are happy and healthy, no issues that are obvious. All of the eggs laid this morning were normal.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I know that eating onions can cause a flavor change in the ducks’ eggs, but they’ve never been given onions and this smell was very pungent. That, along with the blood specks and green shell make me think it’s something else going on. Ideas?
The thing I have noticed with our eggs is that some of the yolks are a very distinct orange & some are very yellow, but the out side is white.

The thing I have noticed with our eggs is that some of the yolks are a very distinct orange & some are very yellow, but the out side is white.
The outside of the yolk is white? That’s so strange. Is it when raw or cooked? We noticed something similar the other day, but with our hard boiled Easter eggs. Our yolks are always yellowish orange, inside and out, but for some reason the outsides turned a pale yellow/whitish color once hard boiled.

Also, to update this thread- I finally figured out what caused the odor/taste in the eggs! It was the canola oil cooking spray I used, weirdly enough. I cooked the eggs with butter and the smell was gone. Been using butter ever since and there has been nothing off about the eggs.

Thanks for updating. We have wild onion
Thanks for updating. We have wild onions that grow here I was thinking maybe your duck had eaten some of the wild onions.
We don't have wild onions on our property, & the ducxks are always in their pen. Can you tell me what critter tears the head off a wild rabbit & takes it away leaving the body?
s that grow here I was thinking maybe your duck had eaten some of the wild onions.

Also, to update this thread- I finally figured out what caused the odor/taste in the eggs! It was the canola oil cooking spray I used, weirdly enough. I cooked the eggs with butter and the smell was gone. Been using butter ever since and there has been nothing off about the eggs.
Our eggs taste fine. No problem there. They just look different inside.

Back
Top Bottom