weird egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EmsChooks, Aug 6, 2010.

1. EmsChooks

EmsChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    Hi I was hoping someone might enlighten me. Today I found a rather large egg in the nesting box which two thirds down had a raised ridge all the way around it. Its very hard to get a picture of it because of the lighting, just wondered how this might have happened?
    Thanks
    Em

2. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Are you wondering how an egg got into your nesting box? Don't you, you know, own chickens? [​IMG]

Or are you wondering if it's normal to occasionally find a GINORMOUS egg that has come out of your normal chicken? If it's the latter, don't worry. I've had a couple of birds that laid absolutely, freakishly large eggs when they usually lay exactly the same size. The kind you look at and say OUCH! I've also seen one teensy egg come out of one of my normally-regular hens.

3. EmsChooks

EmsChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    Quote:[​IMG] I think I vaguely recall how the egg must have gotten there [​IMG] and the fact that its large but what I was asking about was the ridge/band/raised area that is on my rather large egg [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by