Weird Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fanny's Mom, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Fanny's Mom

Fanny's Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    [​IMG] One of my hens laid this egg this morning. It must've been pretty painful because as you can see, it's covered in a chalky substance. In some places it's powdery but in other places it is very thick and almost cement-like! There is a bit of blood on the egg as well. The three RIRs are running around just fine, but my one remaining sex link is very lackadaisical. She's not puffing out her feathers but she keeps closing her eyes and going to sleep. If there are goodies to be eaten, though, she's right there!

I've had eggs that were a little rough before but nothing like this. Any ideas?

2. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    I wonder if this hen is getting too much calcium. Too much calcium can cause a build up on egg causing it to be hard to pass and can also cause egg binding. I would search online for "chickens too much calcium". Good Luck! It is so hard when one of the girls isn't feeling well, soooo stressful.

3. meekasmom

meekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Elkhart, IN
    Today Henny Penny layed a "weird" egg too. It was much lighter than her normal brown eggs and the surface was like sandpaper. Does anyone have any input on this? Since it is getting into winter and she is molting, I just thought maybe that's why.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. Fanny's Mom

Jan 2, 2008
    Imp, Ouch! Whatta pun!

Thanks for the site. The second reason listed is "Minimise activities which create disturbances in and around the shed. Increase shed security to stop other birds and animals entering the shed." I noticed today that the RIR's are picking on the sex link (she's the only one of her kind; the others have died). Plus voles have been stealing the hens' food and I mowed around the coop and run day before yesterday. I'm starting to think I may have to move the sex link out to free her from harassment, but I know chickens don't like to be by themselves. Maybe I could give her to one of my friends whose hens aren't as combative. What do you think?

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My inexperienced opinion is that it is probably an anomaly. Eggs will be back to normal.

Sometimes you can break up the bullies and put them in jail to curb their behavior.
    And yes if she continually gets bullied to the point of wounds I'd separate.

Imp

7. Justuschicks

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    If there is a particular spot that she is getting pecked you can slather that area with petroleum jelly. Chickens don't like the greasy goo in their mouth. That is how I got one of my hens to stop pecking out the butt feathers of one of my other hens. You can also try "pinless peepers" They are kinda like blinders that they use for horses but for chickens. They keep the chickens from focusing on things right in front of them ie, another chickens feathers. It still allows them to eat and drink just fine. They clip onto the chickens nose holes. You can find them at eggcartons.com.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  8. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:I always thought the peepers had something that went through the beak to hold them on (plastic pin) looked really painful.

9. Fanny's Mom

Jan 2, 2008
    It dawned on me in the middle of the night last night that she may be getting picked on because my 8-yr-old 'roo died last week! He was a great protector--the only reason I kept him around. He was mean as the dickens and I couldn't turn my back on him because that guaranteed that I'd get spurred! But he took such good care of the girls. I could let them out of their run and he would protect them. I remember one time the hawks were around. The hens were all hiding in the shrubs, but Woosta was right out in the open, screaming at the top of his lungs, "You want some of me? Come and get it!" Another time when they were moved to their new coop, one of the girls wouldn't go in when it got dark. I had gone out to check them, and there was Woosta, sheltering the hen under his wing. I got them both in the coop and closed the door. He was quite the character. I miss him dreadfully. [​IMG]

10. Justuschicks

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Ahhhh poor Woosta. [​IMG] My roo Bosco is such a sweet boy and loves his girls. He doesn't care much for me but doesn't attack or anything....he just runs the other way. What a chicken! [​IMG] We had a neighbors dog running around my enclosure and Bosco got all the girls to go in the coop until I was able to get the dog back to her owner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by