Weird egg

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mt. Baker Quail, May 17, 2011.

1. Mt. Baker Quail

Mt. Baker Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Ferndale, Washington
    I got a weird coturnix egg today (see picture). There was a bit of egg white attached to the top of the egg. Does anybody know what would cause this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm not sure what's going on there, but keep an eye on that hen. If it happens often, then put her on the menu.
    The first pic just looks like a coturnix egg that slipped past the paint department, and got some poo on it, or maybe got an oddly focused paint spatter. The shell could have cracked and the contents vented, or any number of things. Just my guesses.

Just keep an eye on her for a few weeks. If you get several eggs like that, then you may need to do something, but the odds are good that it's just an anomaly that just happened to that hen, with that egg. I really doubt it's a case of "speckle-less bugger egg syndrome" [​IMG]

Coturnix just lay the darnedest eggs sometimes. I think all will be well.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Like Joe said, keep an eye on her.... [​IMG] With birds that lay a lot, things happen occassionally [​IMG]

4. Mt. Baker Quail

Mt. Baker Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Ferndale, Washington
    I have 5 hens in the cage that I got the egg from. How would I find the one who laid the weird egg?

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. kerry 2138

kerry 2138 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Santa Fe
    She'll be the guilty looking one.[​IMG]

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Mt. Baker Quail :

I have 5 hens in the cage that I got the egg from. How would I find the one who laid the weird egg?

Just keep an eye out for strange eggs then. If you get strange eggs every day for 2 weeks, then you may want to segregate hens to find the culprit. I don't think it will come to that, but it's an option. I'm sorry I can't dispense info that creates 100% perfect egg production. If one out of 5 hens lays bad eggs, then you obviously need more hens [​IMG]
    I have my share of bad eggs here.

It's just an anomaly..IMHO, and should work it's self out.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by