Weird egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 15, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I posted this in someone else's thread earlier, but no replies, so I'm trying one more time.

I have a weird egg. Can see definite veining.... but the "chick" connected to the veins is only the size of my little finger from the first joint to the tip. All my other chicks take up 3/4 of the egg. Today is day 16 for me. Whats up with that?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Is that egg maybe too far away from the heat source? Do you have a still air or forced air? Sometimes in still airs if the egg is too far away from the heat they don't grow as fast. Maybe he will be fine but hatch later then the others. Lets hope [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch! Hope the lil guy is ok.

3. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    It is a still air, and he WAS on the outside row. The others in his row are fine though. I'll go see if there's a free spot more in the center.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ya you still have a few days maybe his growth will pick up [​IMG] I wouldn't give up on him to early he may be a slow poke hatcher [​IMG]

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'm only on Day 10 here, but I think I have a similar situation to yours. Some of my chicks are larger and moving around... then there's a few that are smaller and appear to just stay in one spot near the darker veining.

I'm crossing my fingers, but I'm a nervous wreck because I don't think I'm going to get a good % this time [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm only on Day 10 here, but I think I have a similar situation to yours. Some of my chicks are larger and moving around... then there's a few that are smaller and appear to just stay in one spot near the darker veining.

Do you also have a still air? I hope both of your hatches are ok. My electricity went out last night for four hours so I hope mines ok too! These eggs are going to drive all of us insane!! [​IMG]

7. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I started out with 42 eggs. 5 were infertile, and 6 others looked different... real dark at the top but no chick to be seen. Was like dark, then light, then air sac. I broke one of those open, and there was nothing in there. Don't know if they started and died or what. Then I got that weird egg. So, I still have 30 looking like they're supposed to. This is my first hatch, so I hope SOMEbody hatches for me LOL.

8. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    did you check to see if there is a little bit of bactieria?

9. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    In the weird egg, or the one I broke open? In either case, I dont know how to check?

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Do you also have a still air? I hope both of your hatches are ok. My electricity went out last night for four hours so I hope mines ok too! These eggs are going to drive all of us insane!! [​IMG]

No, I don't believe it's 'still air'. It's a big redwood cabinet incubator with a fan inside. I just posted a picture of the eggs I was concerned about. Hopefully someone can tell me if it's normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by