Weird egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SheDragon, Nov 1, 2011.

1. SheDragon

SheDragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Everett, WA
    One of my hens laid an egg that has an "almost" opening coming out of the top with the "umbilical cord" coming out. I am unsure of how to post an image. Any ideas why? Could it be calcium, they are on a layer feed.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:If you go up to the very top of the page, you will see Forum FAQ's. Click on that. Part way down you will see some links that will show you how to post pictures. Good luck [​IMG]
    I think a picture, in this case, would be most helpful.

3. honfor500

honfor500 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    Go to Uploads and upload the image and paste to youre reply

4. SheDragon

Apr 10, 2011
    Everett, WA
    Ok, here goes...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ideas why she laid a "candle" egg? I'm sure the hen that laid this is my black aust. and I would guess she is stressed. She is low on the pecking order, the lowest.

5. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    Wow, that is an interesting one. It could be a glitch in the plumbing that occasionally happens with the ladies similar to soft shell or the like. Is that the only one you've seen like that?

6. honfor500

honfor500 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    Oh My God I have never seen anything like that .Did the white thing poking out move at all? or seem to be alive did you crack it open and look inside ?

7. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    that is an interesting one... i would guess the 'wick' is just extra membrane material sticking out. does the shell just end at the openning or is there shell where it would normally be on the egg (inside the opening?)

my guess is just that something didn't shut down when it normally does and just kept putting more layers on as the egg moved down the chute...

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Yep, that's a weird one. Someone else posted a picture of one that was similar, not quite the same but with something sticking out. Let us know how it looks on the inside.

9. SheDragon

Apr 10, 2011
    Everett, WA
    looks normal on the inside. I'm thinking either a deficency or problems with the plumbing. She's my odd one out. This was her first weirdy so we will see if it happens again. You've seen that little umbilical cord thing on yolks of commercial eggs? That's what I was thinking this was, only on the outside. Who knows. Membrane was intact but not the shell... hence the portudance... Thanks for the input.

10. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think that the white 'wick' is the same material that lines the inside of the shell---you know the membrane that seperates the air pocket..... It just kept producing in the ovaduct and didn't close up, so the shell couldn't close up. IMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by