Weird egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilyLovesBugs, Feb 2, 2012.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    I found an egg in the nesting box, it was very skinny, and torpedo shaped, I think it is from our R.I Daisy. But, it had some blood on it, and the egg was covered in egg white, the bedding is SOAKED with egg white/yellow stuff that i think is crushed yolk. Anyone know what happened?

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Couple ideas.

1. did another hen lay an egg and it got eaten?
    2. blood could be from a larger than normal egg or young pullet

Keep an eye on her, be sure she eats and poops. Good luck.

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    It sounds to me like she just had a hiccup in her reproductive tract that resulted in a strange looking egg. That's not uncommon and you can learn how that can happen on my blog post here:
    http://eggcartonlabels.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities.html
    I would guess that she was responsible for the unshelled egg that accompanied this torpedo down the pipeline. If this is a rare event for her, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    x2

5. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I forgot I even posted this! I haven't found anymore of those eggs, so, I think we're ok.

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut

Good news. If you find funky eggs regularly, then it's important to find out why. Don't forget to take pictures of these, we LOVE photos of weird eggs! ;)

7. azpenguin

azpenguin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Funky eggs happen with an chicken. Our black sex-link sometimes will lay massive eggs, and once in a while soft shell, but mostly she lays nice, large eggs. Our Ameracuna laid a white egg once with dried yolk on the outside. I have a silkie egg in the fridge that looks like something Picasso designed. An occasional weird egg? No biggie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by