Weird egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FormerCityGal, Mar 15, 2015.

1. FormerCityGal

FormerCityGal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Can you please tell me why this 'egg' is like this?[​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  3. FormerCityGal

Apr 13, 2011
    Thank you aart!
    The really weird thing is that it was gone this morning...even the skin part. The normal egg was still there. I can't believe the hens would eat it...?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chicken will eat alot of weird stuff...I would have grabbed it out of the nest and cut it open.
    Was it soft?

5. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Have you opened it? Does it have a shell? If you open it and it looks like a cheese like egg substance please Google " lash egg".
    I'm following....

6. FormerCityGal

Apr 13, 2011
    Hi Messipaw

When I went out the next morning to get the egg (I wanted to see the inside too), it was gone! So was the skin next to it in the pic. The normal egg in the background was still there. It doesn't appear that the hens ate it, because there is absolutely no evidence of pieces, or straw messed up, etc.

I looked up lash egg and was wondering about something. In my original pic, it looks like the 'egg' is almost in three sections. Could that mean that it was three eggs that were impacted? Also, if it was stuck inside a hen for a couple of days, could the hen body heat cause it to 'cook'? It almost looks hard-boiled. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to inspect it more before it disappeared. The original pic was taken and forwarded to me by my husband while I was at work.

7. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by