Weird eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Capt. Toddy, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Capt. Toddy

Capt. Toddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Hi all

I have noticed a regular problem for about the last 4 weeks with one of my hens. She consistently lays an egg that's not an egg; she produces a little crinkled up soft ball that looks like it should have been the shell. More often than not there is no sign of any yolk or white in the nesting box. She appears healthy, and the whole flock is regularly wormed and dusted.

Does anyone know what this is? I have had a bit of a search and came up with a doughnut.

Cheers

Rod

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    She's laying soft shelled eggs and eating the insides. I would seperate her so she doesn't "teach" the others to eat their eggs too. It can be a nightmare to break an egg eater, but I can tell you from experience that it CAN be done. You just have to up her calcium intake, and wait until she starts laying normal eggs again.

When she starts laying normal eggs, take one of them, blow out the yolk and albumin, fill it with liquid dish soap, like Dawn, seal the holes with candle wax, and give it back to her. It only took once with my egg eater...

Good luck!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. Capt. Toddy

Capt. Toddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    I've been giving the flock extra calcium anyway, but I'll up it a bit more to see if it helps.

Cheers

Rod

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by