1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    A week or so ago I noticed a soft egg with a long tail- took notice but didn't think much of it. Then my 2 year old RIR became lethargic and pale faced. Wormed everyone, and 2 days later she was the same- so I brought her to the vet (I was already going for a parrot recheck). He couldn't find anything wrong- recommended X-rays. I decided to wait thru the weekend and see how she does (this was last friday). The next day she was red faced and perky and has been her normal self ever since- for almost a week now.
    Today I found another egg with a tail (pictured) on a box they like to roost on (not in the nest box).
    Do you think this is related to the illness? What is the "tail"? Part of her ovary??
    Tho I can't be sure- but I don't think she has been laying the last week or so.
    Thanks for your info!!

[​IMG]

2. grannyveg

grannyveg New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    Hi, The egg looks like it didn't have a shell, is that right? One of mine has been laying soft eggs with no shell. And it also layed a wierd hard lump that i think was part of the internal tract.. Wierd huh. Someone suggested that shell less eggs could be a calcium deficiency so i am feeding mind baked and crushed eggshells along with their oyster shell.

Sorry i don't know about the tail, hope this helps some.

1 person likes this.
  3. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    They won't touch oyster shells. And I do feed them back their shells. I gave them the babies leftovers yesterday and they fought over the scrambled eggs. Since we can't eat their eggs right now (wormer) I think I'll cook all those up with some oyster/egg shell scrambled in.

Thanks for the info!

4. grannyveg

grannyveg New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    How is your chicken?
    Mine don't seem to be eating the oyster shell either, just their shells... I did read somewhere you shouldn't add the shell/oyster to their food so they have no choice eating it. I.e it should be seperate and if they need it they will eat it.
    Also someone suggested cuttlefish!

It is a worry and a waste of eggs, if you solve the problem let me know. Mine is also limping. Poor things.

5. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    I just saw her scratching around in the nest box. So maybe she will start to lay again.
    Ill leave the shells out then- thanks for the advice!

6. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Could a she have bumblefoot?? There is an awesome blog about it. Let me find it...

7. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
  8. grannyveg

grannyveg New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks for the link, yes i had thought of that but i can't see anything wrong. Seems a bit better this afternoon. I'll just keep a watch on her. Thanks x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by