Weird eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ldelorto, Aug 7, 2014.

1. ldelorto

ldelorto Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Auburn Massachusetts
    So we have 8 laying hens. Most eggs seem normal, no one lathargic. All are free ranging. 2 are spring chicks. One of the two is laying, not sure if the other is or not. It's so hard to tell who lays what. The one we are not sure if she is laying, might be an Easter egger, and we have no colored eggs, BUT we have new weird eggs that are brown so I guess it could be her. I think the white speckled egg is from an older hen cause it's size shape and color is fimiliar, but just increasingly more spots. After internet research I see it could be excess calcium? But we give layer feed, sometimes mix in the grower/finisher stuff we have left. Mealworms and fruit on occasion. I have given them a few eggs to eat, they eat the shells and all, but I have only done that a few times. I don't give any oyster shells, we used to but the shells were really hard to break and had a fishy taste. So havnt put that out in a year or so. We have been using a lot of DE? Anyways, here they are. Let me know what you think. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Very normal and they are ok to eat. Something just went wrong on the 'conveyer belt' for that egg. It didn't solidify correctly. Have you gotten a 'fart' egg yet? (about the size of a large marble with no yolk in it)

3. ldelorto

ldelorto Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Auburn Massachusetts
    No fart eggs

1 person likes this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's a link regarding egg shell quality including pics. If I were you I'd stop the DE, it may have affected the "conveyor belt.". You can save your egg shells and crush them very fine and add the shell crumbles to their feed if you don't provide crushed oyster shell as you mentioned.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/979/maintaining-egg-shell-quality

5. Chick345

Chick345 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    Wanachee WA
    Fart eggs are pretty amusing to my three yr old. She loves 'em. Not to eat just to look at. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by