Weird ET Space Alien looking Silkie Chick***Warning Graphic Pics***

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horseshoecreekranch, Sep 26, 2010.

1. horseshoecreekranch

horseshoecreekranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    I had a batch of Silkie eggs supposed to hatch a few days ago. They all did except for two eggs one which was not moving and the other one was. I opened the none moving one and it was dead. I left the moving one in for a few more days still no pip. So I candeled it today and it wasnt moving so I opened it up and to my surprise it was alive barely. It only stayed alive for maybe 1 min but I could tell it was very very strange looking. It had HUGE eyeballs and a tiny head and a weird beak. The body was normal. Has anybody had a chick like this hatch and is it called something. Maybe its some kind of dwarf chick??? I thought at first thought maybe the hatch date was wrong but all the eggs went in at the same time and were dated. Thanks for any help!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I hope this doesn't come across as callous, but you are so right about Alien looking. My first thought was ET phone home. I have no idea what went wrong, it is probably for the best the it died do quickly.

3. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    looks like it has some sort of cleft pallet, it's most likely a genetic problem,missing a gene or something.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    So cute! lol

5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I agree, it is/was cute. I just wonder with those huge eyes if there was any room for a brain? I guess I'm thinking about those acephalic (I think that's the correct spelling/word) babies. There's a brain stem but no actual brain.

Weird, thanks for sharing.

eta: oops, wrong disorder: I was thinking of anencephaly.

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Anencephaly

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:I was thinking that, too.

Poor thing, I guess it probably wouldn't have been happy if it had lived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by