Weird eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kathryn79, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Kathryn79

Kathryn79 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Australia
    Hi guys, just wondering if any of you has experienced this before. This is one of my young hens, 16 weeks old that I incubated myself, she seems to have a tumor on her eye and the last day has picked up cold like symptoms. I have quarantined her from the flock just to be safe.. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. AAA Breeders

AAA Breeders New Egg

Nov 30, 2014
    Lebanon Beirout
    This tumor in some cases is seen just before sickness happens. It is an indicator that the bird is preparing to get sick. And you mentioned that she had cold symptoms so keep her feed rich in protein so she stays healthy and fit once she beats the disease out and keep her under a stable warm temperature but most importantly is that the temperature should be stable at all times. @Kathryn79

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could be having symptoms of a chronic respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG,) with the swelling and foam in her eye. Have you added any new birds to the flock that could have been a carrier (even other species of birds, such as turkeys or ducks?) Antibiotics such as Tylan (tylosin,) Denagard (tiamulin,) tetracycline drugs, and Erythromycin can treat symptoms, but she will probably be a carrier. It can also pass through the hatching eggs, so do not sell or give away birds or hatching eggs from your flock. Here is a good link to read about the common respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. Kathryn79

Kathryn79 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Australia
    The only birds that come in are wild birds, we have had a great deal of cockatoos lately due to the ripening fruit around our place. I have had many a sick chook in the past and have lost only 1 from bronchitis, I have never seen an eye Tumour like this before. Thankyou for the replies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by