Weird feather growth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kitty Cat, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    I have an older Rhode Island Red hen. She molted a few years ago and it took her two years to get most of her feathers back, while she got them back they don't look right. They aren't fluffy and silky like all the other hen's. They're skinny and dull. I remember reading somewhere that it was some type of disease but I can't find it now. Can somebody please help me?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I dont recall a disease that would cause this, but I would like to know.
    I know that certain types of lice/mites can damage feathers. Also, if you wormed with fenbendazole (Safeguard) just before or during molt, it could cause feathers to look funky when they finally grow out.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    First off, [​IMG]

Many times if the birds diet is lacking in certain ammino acids and proper protein levels, the feathers will grown in dry and lifeless looking. Feathers are basically made of protein and require more protein and ammino acids than any other part of the body. I would try to get her some vitamin/mineral program to beef up her system as she is older now and requires a lot more care. She may not be absorbing nutrients like she used to. Maybe even switch her over to high protein Gamebird food which is very high in protein. Good luck with your girl. [​IMG]

4. Kitty Cat

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    The only wormer I use is Wazine and I have tried switching her over to a game bird feed, I've even made special treats high in amino acids and proteins, but nothing seems to be working. She also seems pretty lifeless at times. I know she doesn't eat very much, though she still has a good deal of weight on her. I'll try posting a picture. I know for sure something isn't right with her. I have other Reds but they're all doing fine. All my other hens are doing good as well. But she is one of my older hens, and I have had more problems with her than with any other hen. She also got bit by a chicken snake about a year ago and she has a limp but it doesn't seem to have effected her in any other way.

5. Kitty Cat

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    [​IMG]

Here is the picture of her feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by