Weird fleshy growth hanging from between hens legs

aelk5579

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Hi all

I've had chickens dor about 4 years now and never seen anything like this

One of the hens has a huge growth of meat dangling between its legs. The hen itself isn't showing any signs of illness and is behaving and eating normal.
I'm Hoping it's not a tumour or cancer?
I googled the description and couldn't find anything even remotely resembling this.

Any help would be appreciated

I have a 3 year old hen with exactly the same big fleshy pouch under the vent. It has continued to grow for a year or two. If you do some searching at the top of this page, you will find others with a hen like this also. One BYCer did a necropsy and found hers had a big fatty growth. Other possiblilties could be a hernia, cyst, internal laying, or cancer. My hen always has a dirty rear since this growth sticks out so far. She laid an egg the other day, much to my surprise, after I had thought about putting her down.

That fleshy pouch kept getting bigger and bigger until yesterday it burst and al the intestines came out. I found the chicken in the corner of the coop with the other chickens pulling out her intestines more and more and trying to eat them. I immediately isolated the sick chicken and noticed that she has no chance and was dying. All her guts were literally out.
I went to prepare for culling her but came back 5 minutes later and found her dead
Anyone know why this happened and how I can prevent it from Happening??

I am sorry that this happened. Hers must have been a hernia that burst. The chickens were only doing what their instincts make them do to peck at objects and attack the red color. It makes me think that I should cull my hen with the similar condition before that happens.

Yeh I really think you should (assuming it's the same as what my hen had) as it must be very painful for the chicken and not to mention a very unpleasant thing to see. When I noticed that was happening they had already pulled a good portion of the intestines out and was too late

I may cull my hen in the next day or so. She was in the nest box last week, and laid an egg, much to my surprise. Below are other pictures from fellow BYC members from numerous threads with the similar red bulge under the vent.

02-2.jpg
LL
BRLWblackhenJuly2011011.jpg
60955_dscn1542.jpg

I may cull my hen in the next day or so. She was in the nest box last week, and laid an egg, much to my surprise. Below are other pictures from fellow BYC members from numerous threads with the similar red bulge under the vent.

02-2.jpg
LL
BRLWblackhenJuly2011011.jpg
60955_dscn1542.jpg
That fleshy pouch kept getting bigger and bigger until yesterday it burst and al the intestines came out. I found the chicken in the corner of the coop with the other chickens pulling out her intestines more and more and trying to eat them. I immediately isolated the sick chicken and noticed that she has no chance and was dying. All her guts were literally out.
I went to prepare for culling her but came back 5 minutes later and found her dead
Anyone know why this happened and how I can prevent it from Happening??
T

Back
Top Bottom