Weird foam in garden

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fjleiter, Aug 16, 2008.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Keep finding this weird foamy stuff in our garden, it's in an area where our chickens will be going once they are ready to go outside and don't want them out there if this stuff is dangerous. I can clean it up and it comes right back the next morning. Not always in the same spots either. Any ideas what this is?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I can't see your photo.

Do you have slugs? They leave gross foam behind when they feed through the night.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Now I can see your photo.

nope, not slug foam.

Looks like an egg sac.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Your pic didn't show up but it's from a bug - spittle bug, I think. You can try doing a search on www.whatsthatbug.com. Great site!!

Edited to add: Nope - not a spittle bug - just saw your pics. I have no clue what that is.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  5. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I would say some sort of mushroom......

6. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
  7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I saw exactly the same thing a few days ago around where we keep the goat hay. It was hard, but I broke it open with a stick and it crumbled into a brownish powder (brown on inside) I was guessing some kind of mushroom or spore. I have NEVER seen it before, and probably, thats because we never get the amount of rain it takes to grow them, but we have been the last week- plently of rain.

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Actually hubby just saw the picture and said they used to get those all the time at his grandpas farm when he was a kid, he agreed, its a mushroom or spore of some kind.

9. fjleiter

fjleiter Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    do they grow that fast though? I can remove these and they will be back within 24 hours.

10. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Mushrooms and other fungi can appear overnight. Not sure if this kind is poisonous or not but you could always contact your local extension office or university if you're concerned. Of course, there may not be anything you can do to eradicate it if it is a hazard to chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by