1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird gray lump in egg white

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DrtBk27, Oct 24, 2015.

1. DrtBk27

DrtBk27 New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    Today my son was about to eat an egg from our chickens that was hard boiled. When he started to peel it he found a gray lump, with a little yellow around it. I pulled it out, it was pretty firm but I squeezed it and brown gunk came out. I've never seen anything like it, pretty gross. it was far from the yolk. It couldn't be a meat spot could it? It was at the top, in the whites where the yellow [​IMG]is. Any ideas what it is? We don't have a rooster either. [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It looks like a bit of 'lash' that was encapsulated within the egg. Lash is material that sloughs off of the reproductive tract and presents in many forms.

3. DrtBk27

DrtBk27 New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback. If for some reason he hadn't seen it and eaten it would it have hurt him? Still grossing me out, kinda wish I hadn't squeezed it lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by