Weird growth beside chick's eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HighSpringsChix, May 19, 2009.

1. HighSpringsChix

HighSpringsChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Anyone have any idea what this is and what to do about it? It's not squishy like a cyst, and it's attached.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    is it hard? just by looking at it , to me, looks like another chick could have given it a blood blister? did it just appear or has it been *growing*?

3. HighSpringsChix

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    It's pretty firm, but not bone hard, maybe more like a boil than a fatty cyst? I just noticed it for the first time today. It hasn't always been there, but I don't know how fast it's growing, yet.

4. sweetie54

sweetie54 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    hummmm dont know what that is but watch it and maybe put a warm wash cloth on it a few times a day???????[​IMG]

5. HighSpringsChix

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    It's the same size today. The chick is eating and drinking fine, acting normal. Any ideas, anyone?

6. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    I don't know what it is. One of my parrots had a feather cyst
    over his nares at the feather line. It suddenly appeared &
    it grew. It was surgically removed & the vet did a wonderful
    job. No scar, no uneven featherline.
    edited to add informational link
    check out Feather Cysts / Feather Lumps from AvianWeb.com.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I would put a warm compress of some sort on it and as long as it doesn't get bigger would watch it. Sometimes freak things happen and as long as it isn't life threatening the wait and see seems to be the best thing....good luck

8. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Keep a watch on it- and are your chicks vaccinated? I don't know how long various viruses like Marek's take to incubate and cause symptoms, but I posted a thread in April with pics of a buff hen with what turned from huge swelling into tumor-like lumps around the eye and throat. We did eventually lose her and 1 other bird that wasted away without showing the swelling and lumps.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=172081

Hopefully it's just a passing reaction to a bug bite or somethingÂ… anybody else have ideas?

9. HighSpringsChix

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    I got the eggs from seriousbill. The chicks aren't vaccinated. I sure hope it's not Marek's. If I recall correctly, Marek's causes lots of skin lesions and paralysis, neither of which I have noticed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the input so far.

10. HighSpringsChix

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Well, the chick is still acting normal. I stuck a hypo into the swelling today and sucked out what looks like water, completely colorless. I wonder if it could be a stopped up tear duct? I don't know where chickens tear ducts are located.

I threw him back in with the other chicks. I guess I'll just have to keep and eye on it and drain it out when it gets to big. Doesn't seem to bother him, anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by