1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird growths on legs and feet of our chick, help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crashlee143, Apr 4, 2016.

1. crashlee143

crashlee143 New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    [​IMG]

She is about a month old. Eating/drinking/pooping like normal. Just noticed these strange growths on her feet and legs. Any ideas?
    They told us she is a crested polish frizzle.

2. pogmobum

pogmobum Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    Could it be spurs, I can't really see from the pic maybe she is a he? [​IMG]

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC. If you are referring to the bumps that appear to be showing (the feathers are covering the area I am looking at) those are spur buds (one on each leg, right?). Other than that I am not seeing anything out of place in the leg/feet so if it isn't what you are talking about a better photo, or drawing an arrow to the area you are taling about, will help.
    As for gender (as mentioned above) spur buds are not a reliable indicator of gender as many females will have buds or even outright spurs, and some males never develop them -- if you would take a photo of the bird in a natural, standing position showing it in side profile and also a nice headshot showing how it's headdress is coming in that would help for the gender question.

4. crashlee143

crashlee143 New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here is a profile pic. Yes I am talking about the growths on each leg. There is also a growth on the side of one foot.

Thank you both for your help!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  5. crashlee143

crashlee143 New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    [​IMG]

These are the 3 growths I'm wondering about

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by