Weird happening need thoughts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by madisonjar, Sep 21, 2015.

1. madisonjar

madisonjar Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Northeast ohio
    Okay so we started with 8 chickens and have lost two. We have VERY happy girls who give us 4 eggs a day or so when not molting of changing times of sunlight. We let them out to free range once or twice a week due to predator concerns and again great experience so far. Yesterday my wife took some sample photos for a new project she is doing of my kids, we were in the field maybe 100 yards from coop. We broke everything done and took it inside and we all walked in the house maybe another 100 yards from coop opposite way. My son who is 8 said oh I forgot my football and went to go get it...he came running back in saying dad there is a chicken not like ours out at the run. I walked out and well there was what appears to be a bantam rooster (I have rhode island reds) just circling the pen. I have no idea where he came from as we are not that close to anyone who raises chickens that I know. I let my girls out as I normally do on a sunday and he came running from the back of the building where he was hiding and ran into the coop....he roosted with the girls last night on a opposite wall as there was a little pecking but I have no idea what to do lol...should I br worried about diseases? any way to not get him to fertilize eggs? your thoughts

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Well it's too late to worry about diseases, what's done is already done in that department, so hopefully no one gets sick. Someone probably dumped him knowing you had chickens. Why are you worried about fertilized eggs, they taste the same.

3. madisonjar

May 9, 2012
    Northeast ohio
    I dont know I fear cracking an egg and having a chicken fall out, I am new to this :) Will a Rooster blend in with the hens or will they peck him to death? I have not brought other birds in due to the fact that I have heard that hens will not take new birds kindly...I dont know this is just all new to me and I thought I would get the experts opinnion

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Fortunately the dynamics between hens and roosters are different than between same sexes, your hens are going to love him or hate him depending on what type of rooster he is as far as personality wise. It's good he's a bantam as they are a bit easier on hens.

If you want to add new chickens at some point it's best to integrate them when they are younger, around 6-8 weeks, they are viewed as chicks of the flock and it's normal for them to be there as opposed to a full grown hen or older pullets which will be viewed as intruders.

I guess you find out what kind of rooster you have in a week or two as things settle a bit and everyone is familiar, keep an eye on him so he's not aggressive with you, he should move away and avoid you mostly.

An egg is basically inert until it's brooded, or kept at a certain temperature for an extended amount of time, as well as turned daily, so no chickens will fall out, there's will just be some extra rooster stuff in it, lol, he may not be able to mate properly depending on his size. Who knows, maybe you'll want to try hatching a few.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  5. madisonjar

May 9, 2012
    Northeast ohio
    HAHAHA my wife has already said, oh maybe we can have spring chicks, lol...I have to get use to having a rooster, as When I left for work before daylight I took my phone light out with me to the coop and opened up to the run so when daybreak happened in 15 minutes or so they could hop down, that little dude saw my light and it set him off lol, he was Crowing all over the place. normally my hens just sleep right through it.

6. rustytb2001

rustytb2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2015
    Sweet Lips, Tennessee
    I love bantams! My BB red rooster is a wonderful rooster. He watches his hens, always feeds them the choice bugs and even stands guard while the hens are in laying. A good rooster is an asset to the flock, he will protect his hens. I've seen my tiny little guy charge a neighbors lab, jump on his head and run him across the pasture lol. I hope your little roo is a good one and wins your girls hearts.

7. madisonjar

May 9, 2012
    Northeast ohio
    well I was just thinking friday I need to update this thread. He did great, and became the first bird out in the morning and even let the girls know he was mad at them if they came out before him...almost like he needed to make sure everything was good before letting them out. When free ranging he kept them all in one group and made sure to circle them. Very skitish around us but around them a protector. Sad to say though Saturday (2 Days ago) they were out free ranging and he hurried himself to the back of the house away from the hens, which I thought was weird but we have a 10 week old puppy that likes to play chicken bowling as I call it and see how far she can scatter them when she runs at them (doesnt chase them just runs through the pack) so I thought maybe he had enough of that. But I heard a awful sound and went running out too late as my 8 year old and I watched a hawk carry him off (didnt make it but 150 yards before dropping the roo to get some height) anyways roo was dead before takeoff (must have been choked) and didnt make it. My 8 year old was pretty upset because he really liked the little guy. My girls went into the coop and didnt come out the rest of the day, in fact today just poked their heads out and that was that. I chased the hawk off for the next hour as he tried to come back and claim his prize but again I have the puppy I dont want him thinking this is a free food house (the pup is a yellow lab but its only 11 lbs at 10 weeks so its still small). And I know the rooster was a bantam but I dont want him around my rhode island reds as he wont carry them off, but eat them on the spot if he gets them (correct?)

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Yes, if a hawk can't carry his kill off, he will eat what he can and then leave.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's sad to hear. He sounded like he was really a good rooster. As far as the hawks, I have found each one is different, I have had multiple hawks flying around here for a couple of years, not a single one has bothered my chickens, two years ago I had one kill a muscovy duck hen who crawled under a nearby truck to die, I found the hawk sitting on it unable to do anything with it. So at least for me hawks are hit and miss, I do keep multiple roosters who are always on the look out, and I have thing for my chickens to get under to remain safe. Hopefully you have no other troubles.

10. Jujubara

Jujubara Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass
    So sorry, he sounded like a good guy and gave his life for the girls. There's no shortage of roosters so you could get another great one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by