weird happening....

12kids&manychicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Whitehall
So, we have 3 coops of different chickens all in a row in our backyard. The entire area is fenced in so we can "free-range" the coops whenever. We have 2 pekin ducks and 4 rouens - they are between 4 and 8 weeks old. This morning, my kids went out into the free-range fenced area to see the chickens and behind one of the coops, my son found a baby duck. Looks to be a rouen, no more than 2-3 days old---SERIOUSLY - where did it come from!!!
Not possible to have come from one of ours not one of them has laid or was sitting because they are not old enough, plus not any - neighbors dont have ducks or chickens or anything...... I am so stumped on this one

Steph

We rescued a tiny kitten from a boat that had been partially sunk that was a good way away from the dock. The boat had been there for a while. The only thing we could figure out was that a seagull had plucked it up from somewhere on land and accidently dropped it over the boat! Something like that may have happened with your baby duck; seagulls do grab them when they are small.

Lucky you, blessed with a new baby!

ok - it gets weirder - LOL

Another baby duckling this morning - really close to where we found the one yesterday!!

Now we have 2 - and still no clue where it came from

Steph

It's a little angel duckie!! Isn't nature amazing~
big_smile.png

well what kind of chickens do you have and how many and do any of them look enough like another to be not noticed missing? Perhaps you had a broody who found a duck nest and took it and only made an appearance when you were feeding and went hiding afterwards. I have had a few surprises, but it was with chicks, not ducklings. It is weird though. An Easter egg hunt might be in order.

12kids&manychicks :

our chickens have been confined to a coop until the last 3 days - so any of them sitting is not possible -

Well, if the timing is right, it could be possible...the eggs could have hatched even if the hen was confined on the day they were doing it...if the ducks are 2-3 days old, they could have hatched just before "mom" was cooped up. YOu found them when they came along looking for food...I'd search around and see if there are more, see if you can find the nest. Curious indeed - let us know what you find!

Oops - dummy that I am - I read your post to say that the hens had been cooped up just for the past 3 days...you really said they'd been confined UNTIL the past 3 days. Guess that would be a bit quick for a hatch! On the other hand - breed those quick-hatching ducks and make a fortune!!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I don't know much about ducks, but I quickly googled Rouen duckling and also the most common wild duck name I could think of...mallard. The ducklings looked the same to me. Maybe a wild mama ducking got taken? I'd go look for duck feathers/bodies in the direction they came from. And reinforce my pens!

12kids&manychicks :

So, we have 3 coops of different chickens all in a row in our backyard. The entire area is fenced in so we can "free-range" the coops whenever. We have 2 pekin ducks and 4 rouens - they are between 4 and 8 weeks old. This morning, my kids went out into the free-range fenced area to see the chickens and behind one of the coops, my son found a baby duck. Looks to be a rouen, no more than 2-3 days old---SERIOUSLY - where did it come from!!!
Not possible to have come from one of ours not one of them has laid or was sitting because they are not old enough, plus not any - neighbors dont have ducks or chickens or anything...... I am so stumped on this one

Steph

How old are the kids? Are they the only ones to have "discovered" the ducklings? This sounds a lot like something my cousin pulled on her mom when we were kids.
"I swear mom I found it on the way home...... when in reality she told the teacher she had permision to bring it home."​

Back
Top Bottom