weird hen behavior

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LucyWilk3, Jun 20, 2014.

1. LucyWilk3

LucyWilk3 Hatching

Sep 18, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    My sweet barred rock hen, Beatrice, is acting really oddly around me lately. She keeps puffing up and almost separating her neck feathers when she approaches me or some of my other hens. She's also making a weird cooing sound when she does it. When i try and sit her in my lap and calm her down she makes the "there's a predator around here" screech as if the neighbor's cat came in the yard or if the big hawk flies over head. She hasnt always done this, it just started this week. I didnt really know why and was wondering if anyone could help me with an explanation?? [​IMG] Maybe she's about to molt?? It is pretty hot here around the 90's every day.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It almost sounds as if she is going broody.

3. LucyWilk3

LucyWilk3 Hatching

Sep 18, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    I dont have a rooster, does that matter?

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Lack of a rooster won't keep a hen from being broody - it just means her being broody is going to do her no good. If you don't want to hatch chicks (you can get fertilized eggs) you may want to read up on breaking broodiness here on BYC so that if she goes full on broody you are prepared.

5. LucyWilk3

LucyWilk3 Hatching

Sep 18, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you! This is my first flock and although ive had them for a year im still new to some of their quirky behaviors and personalities. [​IMG]

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If she is going broody, she will be staying in the nest longer and longer, till she won't move at all. You can go to the egg sale sections or order live chicks and slip under her. A broody hen is priceless when it comes to freshining your flock each year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: