Weird Hen with spurs? rooster?

Crazyhenlady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Everett, Wa
Awhile back I had a little Brown Leghorn who was over a year old. I had her for 3 weeks and she was a little trouble maker so I gave her away for "free" on craigslist.It was winter so I wasn't expecting a lot of eggs but thought she may have laid one or two but wasn't 100% I ran into the woman who I gave the "hen" to and she said the hen is a rooster because it has spurs. Neither one of us ever saw it crow or try to mate. It had NO other characteristics of a rooster besides the spurs. Any ideas of why this could be?

Some hens have spurs. I bought 4 Welsummer pullet chicks from the same guy and all 4 developed spurs in the first year. Not tiny nubs, either... This girl isn't even a year old yet and she's the mid-size spur wielder of the group:

The thing with Brown Leghorns (and Welsummers) is that the body coloring is completely different in males and females. That is what you go by, not whether she happens to have spurs. The above chicken lays big, beautiful terracotta eggs with speckles on a regular basis.

That's what I thought. I told the woman that and she insisted that it wouldn't have spurs. It looked nothing like a BLH rooster but then I started to question if it was even really a Leghorn and maybe some other breed. She gave the "rooster" away but I still think it was a hen. She had a lot of chickens so she probably didnt notice if she was laying or not.

I started to think she was right because she was a true farm girl who had chickens for years and a lot of them. Just wanted confirmation that I was right to think (know) she was a hen.:)

When we started with chickens we had some hamburgs. We thought one was a rooster cause it had spurs, and one day she laid an egg.
So you have two options, a rooster lays eggs (well probably not
tongue.png
)
or girl chicken CAN have spurs ( right answer )
My neighbor down the road has some girls with spurs.

Yes hens/pullets can have spurs!!
smile.png

if you have a pic of her i would love to see it...as for the spur issue yes hens can have spurs although i have mainly seen them only on game hens and once or twice on none games. roosters are very obivious with their hackles, saddles, and sickle feathers (unless ur looking at a seabright lol).

Back
Top Bottom