Weird Horse/Egg Question...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by suzettex5, Jan 5, 2011.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I have a suspicion that my horse has been eating some of the eggs my hens lay. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

I have a barn that has a trough on the wall, for feeding the horse hay, but I dont use it and have it filled with shavings since the hens LOVE to lay eggs in it. (my horse is pastured and doesnt need hay, and when she gets hay or treats, she is fed from the ground only) Anyhow, she has recently decided to come in and eat the shavings! And since doing this, I have been getting fewer and fewer eggs. I know its winter, and production has slowed waaaaayyy down, but I am still wondering...could my horse be eating the eggs? Will horses eat raw eggs in the shell, or could I simply have an egg eater (hen)?

2. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    I don't know about the egg eating, but i'd be a lot more concerned about the shavings-eating. The last thing you want is an impaction.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It could be eating the eggs I suppose. If you can discourage it it'd probably be better, colic-wise, although some horses eat all sorts of things without problems. (Just like some horses live in barbwire paddocks with rusty Buicks and broken glass everywhere without problems... it is not something you want to count on getting away with yourself, if you know what I mean)

I agree that eating shavings is not something you want to let go on, though. For one thing, IME usually it only happens when either a) the horse is not getting enough roughage in its diet, or b) it is absolutely bored silly, or c) it has ulcers. For another thing, as Hound says it isn't good for their innards. Is it necessary that the stall (or shed or whatever it is) be bedded? If it *is* necessary, could the horse be shut out of it during the daytime, and hay provided at night?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I caught my mini mare in the act, so I can tell you for sure, horses may eat eggs. Over the years, I have lost way more eggs to chickens than horses; it could be either one.

5. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I doubt the horse is eating the eggs. Our hens and ducks lay eggs in the stalls all the time and our horses (of which there are ten) have never disturbed them (actually eating their hay around the nests at times).

6. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I was concerned with her eating the shavings, but it wasnt alot, and she would only eat a little it berfore going back out to the pasture to eat grass. I did call my vet and she said not to woryy since it is such a small amount. I didnt re-fill the trough with shavings though, just to be safe. The hens still lay in there even with out the shavings, I only put them in there to give the eggs a softer landing, but so far, none have cracked without the shavings. I'm still not seeing as many eggs though.

Thank you for your concern about my horse though!

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Yes, some horses will eat eggs. I have one mare that loves them, a few minis that will eat broken ones....

8. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    1 out of 6 of my horses will eat eggs if I leave them where she can get to them. She will even pick them out of a bucket that is almost too small for her to get her muzzle in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by