Weird, hot growth in hen's belly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ohhhdear, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    One of my ISA Brown hens has a weird, hot growth in her belly. She's lethargic, her comb is flopped over, her belly is so distended she has difficulty holding herself up or climbing up into the coop at night. The growth is at least the size of a tennis ball, maybe bigger, and seems to be growing.

She is 15 months old and has been a very good layer until now. Her 11 other sisters are fine. There is no evidence of mites, lice, worms, or other parasites in the flock.
    I took her to the vet, who examined some of the discharge that was mixed with her poop in the carryon I brought her in. It was a cheesy, tan, lumpy material that sortof looked like tan eggyolk but more like congealed cottage cheese. He thought it was protein which had escaped her oviduct? somehow and congealed in her abdomen. The vet's a country doctor, used to dealing with all sorts of animals. He tried breaking up the mass with an inserted hand, and gave me some electrolytes and calcium, plus giving her mineral oil to help move the blockage. He thought if she didn't pass the mass of gunk she might get gangrene and then just die. Hasn't happened yet, though.

In retrospect, this happened to this same bird a few months ago. I thought she might have a cold so I isolated her and then she seemed to recover.

The vet thought she is in pain, but it's difficult to tell. She is eating and drinking and tries to hurry to the fence when I bring "chicken treats" from the kitchen and yummy weeds from my garden. She is not being picked at by the other chickens. She just huddles into herself away from the rest of the flock. I don't believe she is laying anymore.

Is this common in production breeds like ISA Browns? Should I cull her?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Is she eggbound? Poor thing...if she doesn't pass whatever it is, she will probably die anyway...hard choice to make. Good luck to you [​IMG]

3. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    I have the same thing going on with one of my ISA Browns.."GIGI" Gimpy Girl . I have been soaking her in tepid water everynight, aspirin (10) 81 mg crushed and mixed in vit/mineral water and .25 cc tylan 200 orally. It seems to have helped.....I figured it was an infection from being egg bound since it's swollen and hot to the touch. she'll go into the laying boxes but no eggs. I think they are known for their tendency to be egg bound after 2 years of age. Let me know how your hen is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by