Weird leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by YellaDog, Sep 10, 2009.

1. YellaDog

YellaDog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    Cumberland Plateau
    I have a chick that the left leg is angled 90 degrees out at the knee. It is 8 days old . We found it in an old outbuilding where one of my free range hens laid a clutch. Well the chick seems strong, eats and gets around. The place where she frequently bears weight has a scab on it. We took this chick from the momma hen for its protection as the hen seemed rough on it. I think the leg was actually broken and has now fused in this position. My question...Should I cull her or let nature take its course with our help by providing shelter and care form the flock?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Could that be spraddle leg which is curable if caught early? Hopefully others will let us know.

3. YellaDog

YellaDog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    Cumberland Plateau
    We hope, still waiting...

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    It won't heal it will continue to struggle on its one good leg, dragging the bad one. I had one like that that was from an injury in the brooder. It ate, drank and stayed with the others in the brooder. But when it came time to leave the brooder, there was no way it could keep up. It was so pitiful. I wish I would have culled it from the start before I got attached to it, it would have been easier.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by